Wednesday, August 17, 2005

new life. sort of

My apologies to anyone who actually takes the time to read this and has found that for the last week, there has been NOTHING posted on here. Moving into a home where dial-up won't even let me access my email account hardly qualifies to add entries on here. Alas, there was a delay. Whatever. Now I have DSL and all is well again.
I had my first experience today being treated as a local. Let me draw the scene: I decided to ride my road bike into town today to pick some things up. I left thinking, 'maybe i should take a rain coat' but didn't bother to turn around and get one, since the last few days have threatened, but not poured. needless to say, as soon as i left the first store i went to, it started to pour. absolutely raining cats and dogs, but i rode around anyway, getting all sorts of grease and dirt and water all over myself, especially my rear end, where the back tire manages to kick up everything. i thought it was mildly hilarious, and everyone in the square, mostly tourists, were either laughing with me or looking at me like i was some annoying specimen. regardless, i made it to the coffee shop i like to go to, and after leaving my bike under an awning took a seat next to a couple. my hair was dripping in my eyes and i am sure i left a mark on the seat cusion.
the couple next to me turned and said, 'this is crazy weather' and i sort of muttered something in agreement. they finished their coffee, stood up to go, and turned and said 'where is the downtown square?" i looked up and said 'two blocks that way, up and to the right' they said, 'oh, thanks' and turned around and left. little did they know what a grin i had on my face.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.

11:25 AM, August 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Want to see more? Go to the Archives...

  • Free Web Counter
    Free Hit Counter